Sunday, October 18, 2009

Rejection Quotes


Here is a list of some of the comments I have received in rejection letters. Some are generic, some confusing, some helpful, and some seem to reflect the current, tricky picture book market.

Please feel free to share some of your rejection letter comments - the silly and the serious! It will be interesting to see our collection all together.

• "your book would (not) be a comfortable fit for our current list"

• "there needs to be more plot"

• "too quiet"

• "Ultimately, I did not fall in love"

• "(not) distinct enough to withstand the current tough picture book climate"

• "I just didn't feel enthusiastic about this particular project."

• "(It) did not tickle the funny bone of our editor."

• "Not right for me."

• "this project would work best if you yourself were also the artist" (I wish!)

• "I'm not connecting with them."

• "Does not fit our needs."

• "(the) ending needed . . . something more unique and funny."


What are some of your rejection quotes? Were they helpful? Confusing? Bizarre? Let's compare notes.

No comments:

Post a Comment